Crash Avoidance Teen Driving Skills class prepares young drivers between the age of 15 and 22 for the road ahead with either a permit or license. This class provides young drivers with a practical driving experience to develop car control and defensive driving skills.
What You’ll Learn
Skills taught in this one day class include:
- Threshold Braking – Braking at the threshold of lock up while avoiding a skid or spin.
- Crash Avoidance – Maintaining control of the vehicle while maneuvering out of harm’s way.
- Skid Control and Recovery – Maneuvering and braking on icy, snowy, or slippery surfaces and recovery from a skid or spin.
- Defensive Driving – Encouraging the consistent use of defensive techniques such as: “Shuffle Steering”, “Aim-High Vision Technique”, proper braking, as well as stressing the critical importance of proper hand positioning for quick reaction and controlled steering.
- Distracted and Impaired Driving – Students are given an opportunity to experience their driving capabilities while distracted and when impaired.
*This class does NOT qualify as the 6 hours behind the wheel drive time as required by the state following a 30 hours driver’s ed class. It can be counted toward the 50 hours of drive time that a permitted driver is required to complete prior to getting their license. Students should have at least 2 months of permitted driving experience prior to attending class.
Registration paperwork is required. Please print the Class Registration Paperwork below. Completed registration paperwork is due by the Monday prior to class. You can also check your Car Rollover Rating to help you decide which of your cars you should use during class.
Teen drivers without driving violations can apply for a State Farm Scholarship. This program is hosted by the South Metro Safety Foundation and South Metro Fire Rescue Authority, and State Farm® provided $10,000 in grant funds for scholarships through their Celebrate My Drive Campaign.
Class Cost: $175.00
Class Time: 8:30 am – 3:00 pm
SMFR does our best not to cancel a class; occasionally classes are rescheduled due to low attendance or unsafe weather conditions.